Pages

July 14, 2012

No Fuss Spinach Dip

Do you know my favorite part of pizza night? Well besides getting to eat pizza, it's also being able to eat all those junk food extras like buffalo wings, cheesy garlic bread, mozzarella sticks or, in our case, spinach dip. I love having sides with pizza because if you're going to indulge in pizza, possibly the best food ever, then you might as well go all out, right? And I have a great fondness spinach dip so when all we had in our freezer was a frozen pizza (reserved for nights when we both get off work late and don't have time to cook - please don't judge me, we're in college and they're delicious) then I knew that was my chance to add something fun on the side. To me a frozen pizza is like a blank canvas in that you can add your own snacks and sides or toppings in a quarter of the time to get something really cool and totally custom made.

Like I said our pizza was for after work so before work I decided to get some kind of side ready so we could come home and eat. I started craving spinach dip, unfortunately I didn't have the things I usually use like water chestnuts or leek soup mix so I had to improvise. And because I came up with this idea last minute I was determined to not have to go out and buy anything for this dip. The end result is a great throw-together dip with things you already have in your kitchen, and the best part is that it tastes so good no one will ever know!

What You'll Need: 
1 package of froze spinach
1/2 of a small onion
1 small red pepper
1/2 cup of mayo
1/2 cup of sour cream
2 Tblsp of garlic powder
3 Tblsp of Parmesan cheese
sourdough bread for dipping

What To Do:

1. Thaw out a 9 oz. package of frozen spinach. If you have the microwave kind, great. If not I usually put the frozen block in about a half-inch of simmering water and let it thaw out.

*If you're using this method, then use a fork to break up the chunks being careful not to scrape your pot. It breaks my heart just thinking about it :(
2. Once the spinach is drained give it a rough chop to make sure that it's not stringy or that the leaves aren't too big (no one wants a giant string of spinach). Also, mince up half of a small onion and the pepper.

3. Mix the spinach, onion, and pepper in a medium bowl.

4. Add the mayo, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, and garlic powder to the spinach mix.

5. Once everything is thoroughly mixed, cover with plastic wrap (making sure the plastic is touching the dip) and place in the fridge for at least an hour - but more is preferred.

6.  Cut sourdough bread into bite-size chunks and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment