What You'll Need:
2 1/2 cups oats (not instant)
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup dried cherries
1 cup flaked coconut
2 cups corn flakes (lightly crushed)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 chopped walnuts
1 beaten egg white
1. Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.
2. Line a large cookie sheet with non-stick foil or parchment paper and set aside.
3. In a large bowl mix all of your ingredients together. It's sort of a running joke between Mike and I that I never mix things in large enough bowls. So, my friends, use a LARGE bowl because there are a lot of ingredients.
*Spray your measuring cup with a little cooking spray in order to get all of the honey out of it.
4. Put the mixture on you cookie sheet and spread it around evenly.
5. Bake the granola for 25 minutes then turn off your oven but keep your granola in there until the oven cools. This was a great tip from Shelly (author of Cookies and Cups) that makes all the difference in how crunchy your granola gets.
**Her blog also has good tips on how to get less crunchy granola if that's not really your thing.
***As I mentioned, there are a lot of things that would go great in these. I happened to only have walnuts and dried cherries, because I love to snack on them, but cranberries, raisins, almonds, chocolate chips, or a mix of all of these would be a great addition.
6. Once it's cooled start to break off pieces. The bottom will form a sort of crust that keeps everything together and is insanely delicious.